Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rita's Simple and Perfect Hummus


My grandparents raised their children in the Middle East and as a result, whenever I get together with family on my dad's side, we have Middle Eastern food, talk about funny stories from their childhood travel adventures, and enjoy the amazing hospitality the Arab world has to offer. The staple of every Parker family get-together is my Grandma's hummus. When I was a kid, to be honest, I couldn't stand the taste. Now, I can't get enough. The recipe requires one unique ingredient: tahini. Tahini is a sesame paste made from lightly roasted sesame seeds. You can usually find tahini at a health food store or in the international foods section of your grocery store. Once you have that, chick peas, and three other simple ingredients, you're on your way to hummusland!

INGREDIENTS:

1 can chick peas (boiled for 3 minutes, then pour off liquid)
1/3 cup (or more) lemon juice
1/2 flat teaspoon salt
5 Tablespoons sesame tahini (mix well before measuring)
2 cloves of garlic or 2 teaspoons garlic salt

DIRECTIONS:

Mix all ingredients well in a blender and if a little too thick, add water. Place in a flat bowl and pour a little olive oil on top with sprigs of parsley or toasted pine nuts for decoration. Serve with pita bread. Delicious and satisfying!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm looks delicious! I have those same anthro bowls, love em. I just love your recipes Parker and your new cooking blog!! I will definitely be checking in and trying some of these. I hope you and your hubby are enjoying life, I was so sad I couldn't make it to your wedding. You were a gorgeous bride! Loves!

Catherine Fishback said...

Thanks JBo! I had no idea anyone knew about my little cooking blog so that is exciting. I love checking in on yours and Grant's new "southern" life. Hope everything is going well!!