Friday, June 4, 2010

Frrrozen Hot Chocolate from Serendipity

(This looks like hot chocolate, but it's not!)

I. am. a. sucker for chocolate milkshakes. I think of it as a good way to get my dairy intake. When I first heard about the concept of Frozen Hot Chocolate, I knew it would be good. And when I experienced Serendipity 3's signature dessert for the first time, it did not disappoint. Since the actual New York restaurant is almost 3,000 miles away, I decided to recreate the experience in my home a couple weeks ago. Ah, it is such a refreshing way to drink hot chocolate, especially in the summertime. It also proved a good use for the extra mint whipped cream I had leftover after baking the Chocolate SoufflĂ© Cupcakes with Mint Cream for the second time (per request) a couple weeks ago.

For this recipe, I believe the better the chocolate you use, the better the drink will be. While my Hershey's chocolate version was delicious, I think this would be exponentially more satisfying the richer and creamier the chocolate you use.

*from epicurious.com

INGREDIENTS:

6 half-ounce pieces of a variety of your favorite chocolates
2 teaspoons storebought hot chocolate mix
1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups ice
whipped cream
chocolate shavings

DIRECTIONS:

Chop or break the chocolate into small pieces and place it in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. (I don't have a double broiler, so I just used a pot and glass bowl.) Add the cocoa and sugar, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of the milk and stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature. (This shouldn't take long if you used cold milk.)

In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the room temperature chocolate mixture, and the ice. Blend until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet, mug, or any type of serving dish you desire, top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, and enjoy with a spoon or straw.

No comments: