Sunday, May 15, 2011

Salted Caramel Sauce

image via

I have always been a fan of caramel. Despite the occasional toothache it gives me, I love the creamy, sweet texture. When I found out that caramel is actually very simple to make, I got very excited. It is basically the same technique as making a simple syrup, except you let it burn a little longer. That is what gives it the brown color.


INGREDIENTS:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup heavy cream (I used 1% milk)
3 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt

DIRECTIONS:

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. Boil until the syrup is deep amber in color, about 5-7 minutes. 

Remove the sugar from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream or milk. The mixture will bubble (this kind of freaked me out at first--I thought I had messed up the recipe--but everything turned out great). Stir in the unsalted butter and salt.

Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool.

*Salted caramel sauce will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Reheat before serving.

No comments: