Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cooking for One: Macaroni and Cheese

I've been on a mac and cheese kick lately. There is an LA food truck, Worldfare that sells Mac and Cheese in the form of truffles. My oh my. I decided against trying it when they were stopped in front of my work the other day, but I'm not sure why. I'm obviously still thinking about it. To satisfy my craving, I found this quick and easy version for one serving mac and cheese.


INGREDIENTS:

2 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch pepper
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded cheese
1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon onion, chopped
1/2 cup elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
bread crumbs or crushed saltine crackers

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk in milk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.

Add the cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and onion. Stir until cheese is melted. Add cooked macaroni. Transfer to a small, greased baking dish (I actually used multiple cups of my cupcake pan). Sprinkle with bread crumbs/saltines and dot with remaining butter.  

Bake for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cool serving dish and enjoy.

No comments: