Monday, August 9, 2010

Cooking for One: Pita Pizza

Brad is on a hiking trip until Saturday which means I have five days of cooking for myself. There is a reason this blog didn't get started until AFTER I was married and was responsible for feeding another person. Cooking for one is hard. The other night, I decided to make a one-serving pizookie and found myself using one tablespoon of a raw egg. Yes, it was a waste of over half an egg.

This week I will attempt to make recipes for one that do not waste food or have exorbitant amounts of leftovers. My first post is a pita pizza. 

INGREDIENTS:

1 piece of pita bread
3 Tablespoons hummus (or more if you like more)
Toppings (you can use whatever you have but good pairings with hummus include: avocado, tomato, carrots, chicken, nuts, bell peppers, goat cheese, ground beef, garlic)

DIRECTIONS: 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread hummus on the pita and top with desired toppings. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until pita bread is slightly toasted. 

SERVING SUGGESTION:

Use any remaining toppings (i.e. the other half of a tomato or avocado) and plate it as a side salad.

1 comment:

andy & lo said...

i live off of these things!
soo delicious :)
that's so funny.