Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sugar and Spice Candied Nuts

Sugar and spice and everything nice. There's no time like the holidays for sweet treats. A couples weeks ago, my mom and I woke up early to check out a sample sale and once we were finished shopping, my mom said, "I'm so hungry!" I pulled out a plastic baggy of these nuts, and they were the perfect, mid-morning energy boost. I can use all the energy boosts I can right around this time. 

Recipe from Buns In My Oven

INGREDIENTS:

2 pounds nuts (any kind, including mixed nuts)
2 egg whites, room temperature
2 tablespoons water
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
3 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or paprika if your palate is more mild)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. Add nuts to large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and water until frothy. Pour over nuts and stir to coat all the nuts. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugars, salt, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Pour over nuts and stir to coal. Spread nuts in a single layer on a parchment (or wax paper) lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and separate nuts if they are stuck together. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in airtight container.  

No comments: