Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Corn...the simple way

This summer I learned how to make corn. It's not grilled or roasted. I don't use an oven or a stove. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but this corn is cooked in a rectangular-shaped contraption that sits on my counter. It's called a microwave. I try not to use it often, but sometimes it just makes cooking so much easier. 

This may be an old recipe to many, but for me, it has transformed the way I think about corn. It has made summer cooking so much easier and it has also made for a healthier way to add a starch to each meal.

INGREDIENTS:

1 ear of corn 
wax paper
a tiny bit of butter
a tiny bit of salt
a tiny bit of pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Wrap the ear of corn into a sheet of wax paper. Twist the ends of the wax paper and tuck under. On a folded paper towel, place ear of corn in the microwave. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes. 

Remove corn from microwave, let cool and remove wax paper. Using a sharp knife, cut corn off the cob. While corn is still warm, add butter, salt and pepper. Mix until butter is melted and serve.

*This recipe may be doubled or tripled as needed. If cooking two ears of corn at one time, change microwave cook time to 5-6 minutes.

No comments: